Internet and Network
How does network help you :
- All of computing devices are not networkable these days. You can maximize the efficiency by sharing devices such as printers
- Files can easily be shared between users over the private network or public network
- Network users can communicate by email and instant messenger.
- Security is good – users cannot see other users’ files unlike on stand-alone machines.
- Data is easy to backup as all the data is stored on the file server or cloud,
On the other hand, it may give some problems :
- Purchasing the network cabling and file servers can be expensive.
- Managing a large network is complicated, requires training and a network manager usually needs to be employed.
- If the file server breaks down the files on the file server become inaccessible. Email might still work if it is on a separate server. The computers can still be used but are isolated.
- Viruses can spread to other computers throughout a computer network.
- There is a danger of hacking, particularly with wide area networks. Security procedures are needed to prevent such abuse, eg a firewall.